ABOUT THE COMPANY – SOLTRAIN
We (sagist.co.za team) are pleased to inform you about SOLTRAIN Postgraduate Bursary South Africa 2022-2023 /read full details
SOLTRAIN (Southern African Solar Thermal Training and Demonstration Initiative) was formed in 2009 as a regional program on capacity building and demonstration of solar thermal systems in the SADC region. SOLTRAIN is funded by the Austrian Development Agency and OFID, and their aim is to support targeted countries to move away from majority fossil energy supply system, to a sustainable supply structure based on renewable energy and particularly solar thermal.
In South African, SOLTRAIN’s local partners are SANEDI (South African National Energy Development Insitute) and Stellenbosch University’s CRSES (Centre for Renewable and Sustainable Energy Studies).
ABOUT THE SOLTRAIN BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & SELECTION
SOLTRAIN are inviting Postgraduate students to apply for the Solar Thermal Project Support Scheme, for studies within the second half of the 2021 academic year. Students who are from one of SOLTRAIN partner countries (which include: South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho and Mozambique), pursuing studies within the solar thermal energy area may apply.
The value of the bursary is a maximum of €2500 Euro (equivalent to over R43 000 South African Rand).
Applicants may view abstracts from student funded by the SOLTRAIN bursary in 2020
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SOLTRAIN BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen OR a citizen of one of these countries: Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho or Mozambique
- You must be registered for Postgraduate studies for the second half of the 2021 academic year
- Your area of study must be solar thermal energy (the following topics will be given preference):
- Topics related to the use of solar thermal technologies for cooling, heating or drying within industrial applications
- Analysis of measurement data from certain systems from the SOLTRAIN project (SOLTRAIN will be provide measurement data; analysis of measured data with economic/ technical input)
- Potential analysis for solar thermal systems within the health sector (calculation of hospital and clinics hot water consumption; survey hospitals and clinics, including amount of beds and monthly average number of patients; derivation of potential for thermal solar systems for the health sector)
- Documentation and analysis of mass housing programmes with essential solar water heater installation: South Africa and Namibian students only (documentation of the programme, including: location, number of houses, number and size of installed Solar Water Heaters; large quantity questionnaire interview with focus on satisfaction with the Solar Water Heater; lessons learned)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SOLTRAIN BURSARY
Applications must be submitted online for the SOLTRAIN Postgraduate Bursary:
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document for proof of citizenship (certified copy)
- Details about your solar thermal project (in 300 to 600 words)
- Motivational letter explaining why you should receive the bursary (in 300 to 600 words)
- Estimated budget for your funding request (up to a maximum of 2500 Euro)
- Proof of tertiary registration for the 2021 academic year
- Full academic transcript/ record to date
- Letter of support from a supervisor
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SOLTRAIN BURSARY
16 April 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SOLTRAIN BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact your nearest institute here: https://soltrain.org/organisations/contacts
Please do NOT contact SOLTRAIN if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://www.zabursaries.co.za/bursary-news/
This bursary listing was last updated on: 1 April 2021.