ABOUT THE COMPANY – UCT & KLAUS-JÜRGEN BATHE
We (sagist.co.za team) are pleased to inform you about UCT Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarship South Africa 2022-2023 /read full details.
The University of Cape Town is one of the top academic tertiary institutions in South Africa. Their main mission is to produce individuals who portray excellent leadership qualities as well as strong social justice, and who will later play important roles in government, business, civil society, and industry in South Africa and Africa as a whole.
The Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships, awarded to UCT students each year, is named after the famous Professor of Mechanical Engineering. Klaus-Jürgen Bathe is an American Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, teaching and performing research in various areas of applied and computational mechanics of electromagnetics, structures, and fluids. Professor Bathe also leads the development of the world-famous ADINA system that is used for analysis in Mechanical Engineering; as well as being the Founder of the company ADINA R & D, Inc. Other achievements Professor Bathe has accomplished are becoming a publisher of many articles, textbooks and a book; co-editing an international journal; as well as editing the proceeds of 19 M.I.T Conferences.
Professor Bathe has been honoured by universities around the world, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, M.I.T, the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, and the American Society of Civil Engineers for his work, teaching, development of software, contributions to computational mechanics, and more. Professor Bathe graduated from UCT in 1967 and has established and maintained strong relations with the institution. During his time at the university, he became the Gold Medalist of the Faculty of Engineering and has since, for the past 20 years, become the sponsor of the Klaus-Jürgen Bathe undergraduate scholarships programmes.
ABOUT THE KLAUS-JÜRGEN BATHE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
UCT is inviting undergraduate students to apply for the Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarship, for the 2022 academic year. Students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree, in ANY field of study, at UCT may apply.
The scholarship is awarded annually and based on leadership potential. The purpose of the scholarship award is to financially aid the students’ chosen degree programmes as well as develop their leadership capabilities through various programme activities, preparing them to take on leadership roles in South Africa and Africa, as a whole.
MORE ABOUT THE KLAUS-JÜRGEN BATHE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & OTHER OPPORTUNITIES
The scholarship will provide covers for tuition fees, stationery, laptop, book allowance, meal allowance, accommodation in UCT residence and transport – up to a maximum of R120 000 per annum.
The scholarship programme also allows the candidate to embark on a 6 week internship at an approved organisation overseas in Germany, the USA, or at home in South Africa (all costs for this will be met by the programme) whereby they will gain exposure to key leadership skills and knowledge.
During the programme, the candidate will be required to take their normal degree programme courses as well as 2 additional courses that enhance their leadership abilities. The Programme Director will identify these courses, and they could vary each year.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE KLAUS-JÜRGEN BATHE SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a national of any African country (preference will be given to South African citizen and permanent residents)
- You must intend on living in South Africa and serving the country for a minimum of 10 years after graduation or you must move to another African country and serve that country while still working closely with South Africa to address problems faced by the continent, if you are NOT a South African citizen and permanent resident
- You must be studying at the University of Cape Town
- You must be studying towards an undergraduate degree in any field, in any of UCT’s 6 faculties (postgraduate students should NOT apply)
- You must have 2 years remaining of your degree
- You must have passed all first-semester courses with a minimum average of 65%, if currently in your 1st year of study at UCT
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 65%, if currently in your 2nd or later year of study at UCT
- You must be in financial need (preferable)
- You must demonstrate excellent academic merit
- You must show strong leadership potential
- You must be willing to serve both the community and public
- You must be able to fully commit to the goals of the programme
- You must be show potential to be a future leader of the African economy and its various sectors
- You must show potential to make an impact on businesses, industry, government, and social society that is significant to the African continent and South Africa
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE KLAUS-JÜRGEN BATHE SCHOLARSHIP
Applications can be done online at: UCT Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarship Application 2022
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Full academic record (on UCT letterhead)
- Motivational letter to support your application
- Proof of any leadership positions (at school, university and in your community)
NOTES ABOUT THE KLAUS-JÜRGEN BATHE SCHOLARSHIP
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo an interview, whereby they will be required to speak on a topic about global relevance; how they plan to be a future leader in Africa, as well as why they deserve the scholarship
- Candidates must maintain excellent academic merit within their first year of studies in order to qualify for an award renewal in their second year
- The scholarship can NOT be held for less than two years
- This award is NOT open to postgraduate applicants
- Non-South African candidates must show their commitment to remain in South Africa for a minimum of 10 years post studies as well as show a commitment to serving their home countries
- Applicants must demonstrate relative information about their families financial status
CLOSING DATE FOR THE KLAUS-JÜRGEN BATHE SCHOLARSHIP
31 August 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact UCT directly:
Contact Person: Tammy Matose
Please do NOT contact UCT if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://www.zabursaries.co.za/bursary-news/
This bursary listing was last updated on: 3 July 2021.